The Clapp Memorial Library offers the loan of e-readers (specifically, the Barnes & Noble Nook and the Kindle) to its patrons. Three Nook Color and three Nook Simple Touch (black and white) e-readers are pre-loaded with over 150 popular titles. Kindles do not have any content loaded and are intended to be used for the downloading of titles from the Overdrive Catalog.
- Library cardholders in good standing, 18 years of age and over, may check out a Nook for a three week period, no renewals.
- Borrowers must complete and sign the Clapp Memorial Library E-Reader Borrowing Agreement.
- Borrowers must present photo identification showing current home address along with a Clapp Memorial Library card. Presentation of a library card is required.
- e-Readers must be returned to the Clapp Memorial Library ONLY and handed directly to a circulation staff member. Borrower must wait while staff member checks for parts. Book drop returns are not allowed. E-readers will not be sent through delivery to another library.
- e-Readers should be returned charged, with all accessories, and in the same condition in which it was received by the borrower.
- if overdue, the fine is $1 per day. After five days, the replacement cost of the e-reader and all accessories will be charged to the cardholders account.
- e-Readers may be reserved by calling or visiting the circulation desk and specifying Kindle, Nook Color or Nook Simple Touch (black & white).
- e-Readers will be held for 24 hours only. Failure to pick up a reserved e-reader results in forfeiture of the reservation.
- E-readers cannot be “claimed returned”.
- As time and staffing allow, library staff will try to accommodate requests for instruction in the use of the e-reader.
- E-readers should be checked out no later than 15 minutes before closing.
- Patrons will not add or delete titles from the Nook.
- Please do not visit the “Shop” or “Loan Me” option for the Nook. Any purchases made, either intentionally or accidentally, will be added as a fine to the borrower’s account.